Wednesday, June 10, 2020

For the Birds

Hello Everyone!

Today I'm sharing a little house that I made using a Tim Holtz Vignette box and a lot of Tim Holtz Distress, Idea-ology, Ranger and Sizzix products.  I love these little boxes to create a scene.  This one is "For the Birds".  The little bird has taken over this little house!


I started by spraying the box with Distress Spray Stain with Walnut Stain.  I then layered the Speckled Egg Stain on top. I forgot that the first stain would be reactivated by the second one, but I like the outcome.  It look like aged barn wood.  

I cut two pieces of the Worn Wallpaper from Ranger Idea-ology and inked the edges with Vintage Photo.  I glued them in the bottom and the top of the box.   I used the smallest of the Baseboard Frames to frame the ephemera piece from the Field Notes Collection.  Before gluing the bird to the frame I rubbed the frame with a little bit of Vintage Photo one the frame.  

I sprayed a piece of cheesecloth (from the paint department of the hardware store) with Speckled Egg and Vintage photo spray stain and set that aside to dry.  Meanwhile, I covered one of the small corked vials from Idea-ology with texture paste.  Because I used the crazed texture I allowed it to dry naturally.  I sprayed some of the flowers from Idea-ology Bouquet with Speckled Egg Spray Stain.  I sat those aside to dry.  Then I used various alcohol inks to color some of the baubles and heirloom roses (also from Idea-ology).  

While my small pieces were drying, I misted some mixed media heavy stock from Ranger lightly with water and then used my Sizzix Impresslit folder (Sizzix 662768) to cut three pieces.  The folder is called mini-provincial.   I then dried them with the heat tool.  I used an embossing dauber to cover the pieces with Distress Antique Linen embossing glaze (I love this stuff). Next I rubbed some of my walnut stain crayon across the top.  It was a bit dark so I wet my finder to move it around a bit and push it into the crevices.  Next I used my finger to rub a little bit of Distress paint in Speckled Egg across the embossed pieces.  I cut them to fit and glued them on the box. The scale of this impresslit folder is perfect for these vignette boxes.

I went back to my corked vial and rubbed it some Vintage photo pain and let that dry.  I didn't really think it looked like I hoped, so I put some Distress Paint in Speckled egg on top of that.  I used a file to pull sand off some of it so the white would poke through.  Then I glued the flowers into the vial and added a piece of string around the top of the bottle.    

I placed excelsior in the top of shelf with a little bird and a nest from my stash.  I wanted it to look a little messy so I let it hang out a bit.  I added a bit of moss under the bird too (here is a little close up)

Moving to the lower level I glued the frame into the back wall of the house.  I placed  the colored cheesecloth into the corner and glued that into place. I pulled a gear from my stash and laid that in front of it and glued it in place.  It reminds me of a wagon wheel.  I placed moss in the bottom of the box and secured it in place.  I prefer to use different colors to give it some texture.  I put my corked vial in the corner and put a little more moss around it.  Next I took one of the Tim Holtz thimbles and turned it upside down.  I didn't want to use a bunch of baubles to stack inside so I cut a circle wide enough to cover the opening and glued that on top.  I then glued the baubles on top  I then placed the heirloom roses in the grass. 

I colored the paper dolls using Distress Crayons in Dusty Concord and Picked Raspberry.  I colored their cheeks with aged mahogany.  I learned this technique from Paula Cheney and her blog One Lucky Day.  She is fantastic at working with the paper dolls (oneluckyday.net).

I used a typed tag and a nail head both from Idea-ology and glued that to the side.  Finally, I added two butterflies to the top of the house in the moss.   

I really enjoyed watching my little house come together.  I think my bird will be very cozy.  Thanks for looking - I hope you have time to get some ink on your fingers today! Pamela 

No comments:

Post a Comment