Monday, June 1, 2020

Resist Technique using Distress Paint

Today I'm  presenting a project recently demonstrated by the fabulous Mr. Tim Holtz.   I would highly encourage you to watch this video.  Here is the link:  https://timholtz.com/qa-demo-distress-paint/?fbclid=IwAR2HURxqBerwFkRtgUvVxK2_D-cyKZxVUoVOlg-M_Yv4_UszUbYhAXEcDaM

This was my process for this tag.  I started with a mixed media heavy stock tag from Ranger. I find the heavy stock stands up well to water.  If you don't have a tag or mixed media heavy stock you can use thicker card stock. You can use watercolor paper as well, but you will get a slightly different outcome 

I used Stampers Anonymous CMS106 to stamp the text background on the tag using paint-- not ink!  You can put the paint on the stamp using a brayer or a sponge. If you don't have that stamp any text or graphic background would do.  I dried the paint with my heat tool.  Next I layered different colors of ink and blended them.  Normally I choose three inks...this time I was brave and used Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, Shabby Shutters, Fossilized Amber, Tumbled Glass, Broken China , Abandoned Coral and Peeled paint.  Just use what you have and what you like and go for it. 

Once I was pleased with the ink I put some water droplets on there and then dried it. Notice I didn't say "mist"  I wanted big droplets so I used my fingers in some water.  You can use a paper towel if you get too much.  You can also use the Tim Holtz Distress Sprayer which does both mist and droplets. Confession- I couldn't find mine so I stuck my fingers in a glass of water on my table- it got the job done.

Next using  Tim Holtz Stencils THS090 and THS004, I used some picket fence paint through the stencil using a sponge.  A sponge dauber can be used and rinsed and used again.  I like a makeup sponge. You could also use a stencil brush, whichever you prefer.   Don't use too much paint so it doesn't seep underneath.  Then I dried the paint.  You can always let it air dry too, it dries fairly quickly.  If I were doing several backgrounds I probably would not dry it with heat. 

For my next step, I inked up the balloon and the gears from Stamper's Anonymous  CMS 130 in black Archival ink and stamped the tag.  Then vibrancy of the Archival ink really stands out against the background.   Then I used  Stamper's Anonymous CMS 397 and put just bits of text randomly on the tag. You don't wan the entire stamp.  

I went over the edges with my vintage photo ink pad just to darken them up a bit.  Finally, I used my splatter brush to splatter some speckled egg paint on the tag.  

I hope you take some time today to get a little ink on your fingers! 

Pamela 

No comments:

Post a Comment