Thursday, July 2, 2020

A Celebration of Independence and Freedom

Today I wanted to share with you a vignette box I made to celebrate the 4th of July. 

The idea behind this scene is the man on the suitcase has just arrived to town and is waiting on his cab.  He is sitting on his trunk in front of a building that has been painted for the 4th of July. A parade has gone by and the remnants of the parade are still hanging on and all over the street.  The others are watching that last of the parade go by. 
Here is how I created my scene; a list of the supplies is at the end of this post. 

First I painted the box with Distress Paint in Weathered wood.  Even though you can't see the sides and the back I like to have it finished.  Next I covered the back of the box with Typeset tissue paper using Collage medium. I sat that aside to dry.

While I waited I pulled out some old idea-ology paper and cut the word America.  I inked the edges with black soot and put some small white marks to highlight the letters with a pen.  Then I cut the Old Jalopy BIGZ die 4 times   I cut one each from brown, metallic silver, black and the section of the doors in woodgrain paper.  I inked the car with Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress ink.  I layered the pieces to create the cab.  I had to freehand the woodgrain paper to create the doors and the silver for the headlight.  You can't really see it but I also used some clear plastic on the windows.  




Then I colored the paper dolls.  I used distress crayons and also speckled blue embossing glaze.  

I die cut the suitcase from cracked leather cardstock and metallic for the buckles.  I inked the cases with Shabby Shutters distress ink and then embossed it with the glaze in the same color.  Inked the straps with Vintage photo Distress Ink.  I used a black soot crayon to outline the suit case just a bit.  

Next, I used the Impresslits folder Star Trim to create my frame.  I cut it from silver metallic paper and then I used alcohol ink to tint the trim and give it a little age.  While those were drying I went back to my background.  I applied crackle modeling paste through the stencil on the left. I dried it partially with the heat tool and then I let it sit overnight.  I find that with crackle paste a long natural dry time works best for me. Then I died some mica flakes with Poppy Red and Monsoon alcohol inks.  Those dried overnight as well.

When I returned the next evening, I used my Distress crayon in Faded Jeans to create the blue over and around the stars.  Next using the Barn Door Distress crayon I created a border around my edges and then faux stripes using a ruler.  I smudged the crayon with my finger which was damp.  Then I took a permanent pen and wrote the words to part of the Pledge of Allegiance between the stripes (I covered it up later but I know it is there and it peeks out in places) . 



I painted the pole for my flag and the star with Brushed Pewter Distress paint.  When that was dry I glued the flag to the left edge of the box.  I manipulated the flag to create the folds and secured that with some glue dots.   

Then I coated the bottom of the box with collage medium and sprinkled the mica flakes on there.  I added some that I had not died to create red , white and blue confetti, like a ticker tape parade.  I also used some collage medium in spots to sprinkle some of the confetti so it looked like it was caught as it rained down from the buildings above.  

I used score tape to adhere the Impresslits star trim.  Then I layered in my scene using collage medium and foam tape to create the depth for the scene. 

I hope you get time to enjoy some time to celebrate this wonderful country this weekend with your friends and family and perhaps find some time to get some ink on your fingers.

Until next time- Happy 4th - Pamela 
--------------------------------------------------------
Supplies:

 Paper- Tim Holtz Metallic 3, Classic , Woodgrain and Cracked Leather cardstock
Tissue Paper- Typeset
Distress Inks:  Peeled Pain, Vintage Photo Black Soot, Antique Linen, Walnut Stain, Peeled Paint.
Sizzix BigZ die Baggage Claim  # 664439; Impresslits folder- Star Trim # 663297 and Old Jalopy
Tim Holtz Distress Mica Flakes
Ranger Alcohol Inks : Poppy Red, Monsoon, and Mushroom 
Distress Crayons- Bard door, Faded Jeans, Worn Lipstick, Aged Mahgony, Fossilized Amber
Distress Paint- Weathered Wood and Brushed Pewter
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Paper Dolls 
Adhesives: Scor-tape, Distress Collage Medium, Golden crackle paste
Idea-ology Adornments - Star
Flag- Hobby Lobby


No comments:

Post a Comment