Sunday, July 19, 2020

Sizzix Holiday Village with Oxide background

Hi Everyone! Today I'm sharing one of my first attempts with the 2020 Sizzix Holiday Village Die #664737 by Tim Holtz.  I have two versions to show you basically created the same way. 

A couple of tips.  These dies are easy to use, there is a Sizzix video to help you know what order to put the items together and how the colors look.  I would suggest you watch that it might save you some frustration. Here is the link: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tim+Holtz+holiday+village+video&docid=608045417756492928&mid=CC9EB480D719B0183C6CCC9EB480D719B0183C6C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE .

This die is surprisingly easy to assemble, even though it is a little time consuming.  There are some tools I felt really helped me with my assembly.  First, if you have a way to make your card stock with a sticky back, I would suggest you do this.  Tim Holtz Scrapbook.com ,Couture Creations (the one I use) and Ken Oliver all have versions of this product.  If not, you need a glue you can put on small, fine, tiny pieces.  Second, I would suggest a pair of tweezers.  The tweezers were handy to "nudge" my little windows into place and pick up those tiny strips like the one above the door.  Even with my fat fingers and arthritis I was able to get it together.  Next a craft pick, pokey tool, or something to push the paper from the dies.  When I cut them from scrap paper without the pieces fell out easily, but once I cut adhesive backed paper in I had to push them out.  I didn't mind this, because it mean I didn't lose any of those tiny windows. Finally either a bowl or paper plate is handy to put all of the pieces onto as you push them out.  Little tiny pieces have ways of sticking to clothes or flying off even the most organized space.

Each die has the suggested color to use for the pieces.  For this first card I used Tim Holtz paper for all of the paper except the purple and the white. 







 Once you cut your pieces you are ready to begin assembly.  Just follow the layers as described in the video.  I would suggest for the windows, that you lay them out before you glue them, especially the first time. 

Once I had the village together I was able to create my background.  I started with a purple cardstock.  Then I layered Oxide inks in Fossilized Amber, Blueprint Sketch, Wilted Violet and Black soot.  You can see I didn't go too heavy on any one color. 










I placed my village on top and decided I needed a little something in the sky.  I had a piece of Navy blue cardstock that I had sprayed with Brushed Pewter Distress Stain to try as a background.  I cut it using the Sizzix Die #663095 Swirling Stars and then glued the starts onto the background.  I layered my purple cardstock on a piece of silver glitter cardstock and then on a base card from purple.  I cut Merry Christmas from Sizzix #664196 Christmas Ribbon, using Tim Holtz Metallic Cardstock.  I also added red stickles to the tree for the bulbs.  


The second card I used the same inks for the backgrounds, but I blended them directly on my white base card.  All of the papers for this card were from my scrap bin. I cut the Christmas tree twice so that the balls would be red instead of yellow.  I also cut the top of the tree out of silver metallic so I could have a silver star.  It's a little brighter but I like it.  Instead of the stars for this card I cut Santa and his reindeer from brown and navy cardstock and then layered them.  I also added some silver to the sled rails using a Nuvo Glitter pen as well as the collars of the reindeer.  You can't see it but I also added some gold Nuvo to the reins.  These look much more intricate that than they actually are; I will be making many more for my friends for the holidays.  I hope you have time to get a little ink on your fingers today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment